2014-09-04

Unexpected Moments with my Dog Kentucky

They say dogs are man’s best friend. In my part, my dog Kentucky seems to be my “frenemy” (combination of word “friend” and “enemy”) because he does things that are both silly and touching in different ways.
1
The Poop Incident
Just like humans, pets also experience the call of nature. My mom and I are planning to go for a vacation. Expecting for a long drive, I have Kentucky prepared in terms of his physical situation. A few hours before we left home, I made sure that he already released all the toxic elements from his body. Fully geared with dog food and some of his favorite toys to chew, we went for the trip.
Both me and my mom are pet lovers, but we rarely bring our pets during long trips. It just so happens that no one will be left at home to attend to my dog for 3 days. Left without any choice, we decided to bring him with us. While the trip is running smoothly, we noticed that Kentucky is behaving a lot different. During the first hours, he kept barking and jumping at the back seat and then we noticed he is behaving very well. At first I thought he’s just tired, but as an annoying smell spread all over the car, I already knew what he did. Kentucky is an outdoor dog and he is not comfortable with cushions and other dog paraphernalia like we usually see in pet stores. From then on, I regretted not buying a dog car seat for him, which would also be useful in my mom’s end. After cleaning the mess that Kentucky made, we still went on with the trip, but of course, with two windows opened.
This incident made me realize that I am not that much of a good pet owner for not anticipating what my dog might do, and for not buying the things he needs. Instead of getting aggravated with what happened, it served as a life lesson which brought me and Kentucky closer together. Now, I spend more time checking out new pet accessories that will be beneficial for both me and my pet.
2 German-Shepherd-Guard-Dog-Training
The Captain of the Ship
There was once an incident when my girlfriend and I had an argument on who should be keeping our savings passbook. We literally save money for our travel plans at the end of the year. Admitting that each of us has a shopping addiction, we pointed out several factors on why I or she should keep the savings with our voices both raging. Feeling tired of arguing with a person who never lets her flags down, I walked out. I felt bad because she doesn’t trust me with money at all, and I bet she feels the same way too. I know for a fact that the anger will subside eventually, but not as fast as a few hours.
The argument made me realize that I seldom get the control of things because of my girlfriend’s attitude, which actually lowers down my self-esteem. I felt so alone and I almost cried the whole night. Thanks to Kentucky, he went to the couch to sleep by my side. I assume he felt the need of comforting his boss, and that is his own way of supporting me. After a few minutes of talking to Kentucky like he would respond to anything I have said, he went grumpy which is a sign of hunger. Right at that moment, it came to my mind that I still have control to what’s going on around me. That is taking care of Kentucky. Choosing the right food to feed him and deciding what trick should be on the next dog training are just a few of my controls over him.
Sometimes, we tend to forget that we also have friends that are not humans. Pets are indeed adorable, but what we usually forget is that sometimes, they knew how to console people better than the people itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment